Winters are times when we like to warm up with a filling and comforting bowl of soup. And the fresh produce that is available in abundance dose justice to the yearn of sipping something hot. The recipe I share with you today has lately been my dinner. It is so filling that a bowl of this soup hardly leaves space for anything else. As I always do and say it is quick and simple soup to put together. And this is also a humble soup compared to its richer version Broccoli-Almond soup that we have so got fond of lately. If the seasonal broccoli have began showing up in the market do give this Quick Broccoli Soup a try.
The addition of roasted and slightly caramelised onion and garlic gives this soup a bit depth of flavour. The sweetness of onions and sharpness of garlic goes well with otherwise largely bland tasting broccoli. The herbs I have used are the ones i had handy, you may use the combination you like. A simple seasoning pack that we normally have retained from home-delivered pizza also goes well with the soup. Add the entire small sachet of that seasoning to it.
Quick Broccoli Soup
Makes 2 large bowls
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 large onion, evenly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, evenly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Herb Mix or herbs of your choice.
- freshly powdered pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Beresta to top (optional)
- In a pan put the chopped broccoli and water just enough to submerge the broccoli (use judgement).
- Cook the broccoli in the pan, do not cover or else the broccoli will lose its colour.
- Simultaneously mix the garlic and onion in 1/2 teaspoon of oil and roast it in a pan or pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C for
- 15-20 minutes or until caramelised. As we are using very less oil keep an eye on the onions cause they might get burnt easily.
- Once the broccoli is cooked and the onion-garlic has caramelised, mix them together and puree them to a smooth consistency using a hand-blender or liquidiser.
- Transfer the liquid mix to the pan on gentle heat, add water to adjust the desired consistency and season with salt, pepper and Italian herb mix.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil and turn off the flame.
- Serve this quick Broccoli soup with a crusty bread of your choice.
- Enjoy hot.